ABOUT: Nextwave is an exciting youth education and engagement initiative that provides K-12 youth with opportunities to explore the world of international independent cinema. A component of Nextwave, The Youth Filmmaking Competition celebrates the next generation of filmmakers with a platform to showcase their work in front of over 50,000+ festival goers, fellow creatives and industry professionals.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Visit Film Freeway or Withoutabox to submit your film. If you are unable to submit through one of these sites please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative possibilities.
ELIGIBILITY AND GUIDELINES:
- Films must be shot, directed, and produced by youth age 18 and under. Adult participation must be limited to an advisory or acting role.
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2017.
- Films must be 10 minutes or less.
- Films can be fiction, documentary, animation, experimental or VR.
- Films can be shot on any type of video camera.
- Films can be produced in any language but need to have English subtitles for the festival presentation.
- Films submitted to Nextwave must be original and not copied from others. Use of original music is encouraged and films with unlicensed music may be disqualified from participation.
- All minors that appear in your film must have the consent of their parent or guardian to participate and appear.
COMPETITIONS: Invited films will screen at the 2018 Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival and participate in the Youth Filmmaking Competition. Select films will be given awards by our Youth Jury Ages 15-18. Previous awards have included Best Youth Filmmaker Award and Youth Jury Choice Award.